by Karen Chace © 2016
“Without promotion, something terrible happens – nothing!” ~ PT Barnum
Wouldn’t it be grand if we could hit a bull’s-eye every time in business with very little effort? Storytellers sometimes shy away from the marketing aspects of our work because it can seem overwhelming. However, if you want to fill the room, put your marketing hat on early and often, and go beyond the traditional advertising routes. Embrace the array of social media tools at our fingertips; the promotional opportunities are endless.
Let’s make sure the follow-up publicity for our events include the words “standing room only!” Here are some tools to help you make it happen!
Let’s start at the beginning! The CMO’s Guide to the Social Landscape – This chart will help you decide what works best for your needs. http://www.cmo.com/features/articles/2015/3/4/cmos_guide_2015_social_landscape.html
EMAIL MARKETING SERVICES
- Constant Contact – http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp
- IContact – http://www.icontact.com/
- Mail Chimp – http://mailchimp.com/
- Vertical Response – http://www.verticalresponse.com/
- 2016 Email Marketing Services Review
Publish your events for free and let the cyber world know how to find you!
- Adsglobe – http://www.adsglobe.com/events/
- Gary’s Guide – http://www.garysguide.org/
- Upcoming – http://upcoming.yahoo.com/
- Whofish – www.whofish.org
Two examples of free newspaper events sites. Check your newspapers for similar services.
- Boston.com – https://www.spingo.com/submit/?partnerId=1044
- Projo.com – Rhode Island – http://www.providencejournal.com/entertainment/listings-guide
- Vertical Response – http://www.verticalresponse.com/event-marketing
- Eventbrite – http://www.eventbrite.com/
- Event Wizard – http://www.event-wizard.com/features/
How to Write a Press Release – There is also a press release template you may download for free.
SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
- Facebook – www.facebook.com
- Twitter – http://twitter.com/
- LinkedIn – http://www.linkedin.com/
- Ning – http://www.ning.com/
- Need more? Top 15 Most Popular Social Media Sites
Make sure to stay connected, upload a video of your event and create buzz for the next time!
- YouTube Not sure how to get YOUrself on the TUBE? Then visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y7rrfftbk .
- Stupeflix – Integrate after-effects and pictures to your video without editing software.
Hootsuite – Streamline your web activities using this social media dashboard.
5 Tips for Making Your Next Postcard Mailing a Success – “…one of the most basic forms of marketing… But when done effectively, there’s nothing simple about it.”
10 Ways to Make Your Flyer Stand Out of the Crowd – Techniques for an eye-catching flyer.
12 Social Media Marketing Trends for Small Businesses – How small businesses are using social media to get more sales.
12 Ways to Attract Clients with Your Business Card – Twelve ways to assure that prospects will read your card, and will become more likely to do business with you.
60 Creative Marketing Ideas for Small Businesses – Easy to implement ideas with suggestions for long term goals.
Building Social Capital for Your Small Business in Four Easy Steps – Relationships are currency. How are you spending yours?
Five No Cost Marketing Tips – Some ideas to help you stay above the fray.
How to Become Fearless Business Owners in Uncertain Times – Seven great tips.
Ten Ways to Make Your Flyer Stand Out In a Crowd – An inexpensive and effective, it grabs the attention in a busy marketplace; techniques designers use to make their flyers pop.
Top Marketing Trends in 2016 and What They Mean for Your Small Business – Top trends for 2016 and what they could mean for your business.
50 Brilliant Flyer Designs And What You Can Learn From Them – Ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
Canva.com – Create your own brilliant postcards. Some images are free, others cost a nominal amount.
Provide a link to your CDBaby page from your website so visitors to your site can purchase your CD.
How to Create a Twitter Account 2016 – A step by step tutorial.
Wikiart.org – Add some interest and excitement to your brochures, publicity flyers, or website with these beautiful selections. Note: Be sure to check if the art is in the public domain.
Note: My thanks to Linda Gorham for the PT Barnum quote at the top of the blog.
Karen Chace is an award winning storyteller, teaching artist, workshop leader and author. She is the author of Story by Story: Creating a School Storytelling Troupe, which won a 2015 Anne Izard Storytellers’ Choice Award and 2016 Storytelling World Honor Award. She is the host of the television series Story Café, the 2009, recipient of the LANES Brother Blue-Ruth Hill Storytelling Award, and the 2011 National Storytelling Network’s Oracle Service and Leadership Award.